Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Today...

...I had the privilege of being able to tour the newborn intensive care unit (NICU) at our local hospital and do some shadowing of an RN. It was an amazing experience. I was able to hear the physicians do their rounds, hear stories on some of the babies, and see some really tiny babies (some were just over a pound). Some stories were so incredibly sad and some stories were truly miracles, and I was overwhelmed with how such a tiny person can pull on your heartstrings. I am incredibly thankful that I have never had to go through that with my children. Being in the NICU, however, provided further confirmation that I would love to be able to work in that kind of an environment. Emotionally, I know it could be really draining, but there are also some incredible rewards. I love the thought of getting to know the families, I love the thought of being busy, and I love the thought of continuity of care. I'm not kidding myself: I know that I will have a hard time when a baby dies (because the reality of the situation is that deaths ARE a reality of that kind of nursing). I know that there will be days I will want to give up and go push pills somewhere. But I also know that there will be days where I see God doing amazing miracles that mystify the medical community. Days when a baby who was never supposed to make it goes home with his mom and dad.

On another note: Less than two weeks from now and I will be done with finals and only one year away from graduation! It has gone so quickly (although, there have been VERY long days!) Two years ago I was making the decision to go back to school, one year ago I was stressing about getting into the nursing program, and one year from now I'll be graduating!

The plans for this weekend are to relax and sort through stuff! We have a ton of clothes and toys that the girls have outgrown, so I'm going to pull those together and try to sell them at a sale in a few weeks. I'm heading on a cruise with my mom and Luke is most likely going to take the girls to NC to visit some friends, so any $$ I can get off my junk would be fabulous! Anybody want size 3T girl sweaters?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter