Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy birthday, Kayla!

How time flies! My "baby" is now 3! We had a small party with our neighbor girls down the street yesterday, cake and icecream and presents last night with Daddy and Mandy, and then a party tonight with my family. The theme is "My Little Pony" and there's a lot of pink and purple streamers and napkins associated with that theme! Kayla is a pistol--I'm curious to see how God is going to use that for HIS glory! She also has a sense of humor that makes me laugh! This morning she proudly announced to me that her doll is named "Barium." Gee, can you tell I'm in nursing school! She's so vocal and articulate about EVERYTHING, and she has no issues telling you exactly what's on her mind any time, day OR night (ugh!)

Luke and I have been doing a lot of financial planning/talking lately. We have made some pretty awesome financial goals, and I'm excited to see how it all works out. I know they say "the best laid plans....", but we have covered this in prayer so much. Our prayers are mostly centered around using GOD'S money the way He would want is to. We have really come to realize that this money is a gift from God, and we are the stewards. We are striving to glorify Him in all areas of our life--money included! During this whole process, Luke and I have discussed where we need to cut back (my $1.58 pop purchase at the nursing building have to go!) and how to have "cheap" dates--e.g., get Grandma and Grandpa to come visit and go sit at Noodles with our buy 1 get 1 coupon! It's never "fun" to have to cut back, but the short term sacrifice for long-term benefit is worth it! Thank goodness the goal of this blog is to share my thankfulness and gratefulness. It would be SO easy to look at people and see how they can go out to eat more often, drive nicer cars, live in more beautiful homes, but that's not the point. "Stuff" won't make me happy. If I'm not happy with life the way it is now, having nicer things won't make me happier. Cars get dented, furniture gets spills on it, and homes are eventually not new. The "stuff" that's important is priceless...my faith, my family, my friends.

Oh yes...so much for not getting glasses for Mandy last week! Her old pair broke and were no longer covered under warranty. Thankfully we have vision insurance and were able to get her a new pair (with a one year "we don't care how they broke, we'll replace them for free" warranty!) pretty cheaply. We followed that purchase with a visit to the dentist for both girls. NO CAVITIES! Mandy did great, and Kayla acted age appropriately :0)

What I'm thankful for this week:
1) Wonderful health insurance
2) Federal income tax returns!
3) Kayla's life and the joy she has brought to our family
4) My sitter...she let me know she's probably not going to college again next fall and wants to know if she can watch the girls again! She is truly a gift from God--a wonderful, godly young woman who adores my children and cleans! And, I'm STILL not going to give her name out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter