Sunday, January 13, 2008

I HURT!

Some of you may know that I am a casual runner. I have goals of running some 10Ks (6.2 miles), some 10 mile races, and perhaps a half marathon. I'm not totally into it, though--I don't wear short running shorts (heck, my running clothes don't even match!), and I refuse to run without my MP3 player (supposedly real runners don't need music). Anyway, that being said...I consider myself in reasonable shape. I struggle with low back pain at times and my chiropractor recommended that I try pilates....

So, I went out and bought a pilates DVD. After going through the whole stack of available options, I chose cardio pilates. Now mind you, I've never done pilates in my life. I am not even flexible enough to touch my toes without bending my knees. My range of motion stinks and my flexibility is even worse. I buy the DVD, bring it home, and it stays in the shrink wrap for a couple days.

Sooo. Luke sees the DVD laying around and decides it looks interesting. He tries it (I'm watching him, pretending to read a book), and he makes these awful grunting noises while doing it. I start laughing at him, I get a dirty look, and then he quits after 12 minutes (and that's only 8 minutes of actual workout because there are four minutes of instruction). That's Friday....

On Saturday, I pull out my mat and decide to do pilates. IT IS HARD! I'm thinking aobut two minutes into it that I probably should have purchased the DVD entitled "Easy Pilates." I'm 10 minutes into this DVD and every part of me is shaking. Mandy is watching me, and I ask her if she wants to help. She responds, as only a small child can, that "I'm tired just watching it!" Smart girl! I turn the DVD off after 13 minutes (just so I could say I beat Luke!) and went for a 4.5 mile run.

Fast forward to today....I woke up in PAIN! Not the "I exercised hard, am a little sore, and feel really good" pain, but rather the "I think I want to die" pain. It was so bad that at church I couldn't even put my arms up in worship or put my hand out in prayer. Luke touched me and I winced.

Of course, being the "diehard" that I am, tonight I pulled out the other exercise DVD I bought: The Resistance Ball. It claims to strengthen the 35 muscles that make up our core. I did all 30 minutes, didn't break a sweat, and am wondering if my muscles will be screaming at me tomorrow. If not, I don't know if I should celebrate being "in shape" or made I wasted $15 on a worthless DVD!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter