Saturday, May 23, 2009

Okay, so I'm a slacker

Well....apparently blogging isn't my forte. I have lots of other things I'm consistent with, but apparently blogging isn't one of them!

For the few people in this world who read this blog, here's a small recap of what's been happening over the past few weeks...

Graduation!!! Woohoo! Being completely done with nursing school is an incredible feeling! When I graduated with my psychology degree 7 years ago, I knew I had to start a graduate program. With a nursing degree, I actually have marketable job skills. You know, the kind people PAY you to have! I'll be 29 this year and have never had a "real" job (although, I've been home taking care of my babies...I know that qualifies for the "real" job category!)

We went to Disney World with the family and my brother-in-law and his wife (Logan and Staci). We had a WONDERFUL time! I got to know my children so much better. Mandy, who used to be cautious and careful, was carefree and up to try everything. She had a smile on her face the whole time and would get off a ride (even the one she was too short for, but after stuffing her shoes with socks, she magically grew!) and exclaim, "I want to do it again!" Nothing scared her, nothing made her hesitate, and her smile was so wide and genuine that my heart would melt.

Kayla, on the other hand, had a wonderful time....playing in the dirt, looking at the birds, and watching the people. She liked some of the rides, but she was very concerned about whether or not it would be scary. As a side note, my favorite Kayla story is when she walked into the bathroom with her Aunt Staci and asked, "What ride is this?" Precious! I spent part of my trip staying back with Kayla while the others went on a ride. Did I want to go on the ride rather than stay behind? Of course! But you know what? I had such wonderful conversations with Kayla about so many things that I have created a lifetime of memories. There isn't a single ride at Disney that's better than those memories. Of course, going and getting ice cream and she and I trying to eat it before everyone came back was a lot of fun, too!

While in Disney, I got an unexpected call from the hospital about a position I interviewed for in January. It is in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). I had to do a phone interview with HR while on vacation, and a few days later, I was offered the job! What an incredible blessing to land my DREAM JOB so unexpectedly. In the economic times we have, it is truly remarkable that I would get this opportunity. I know that God has something in store for me to learn through this job and I am excited to start that learning!

We got back from vacation and I ran the Riverbank Run. There are various lengths in this race, including a 5K, a 19K, and a 25K. I chose the 25K (15.5 miles). It was torture. I did terrible, time-wise. BUT, I finished, I wasn't last, and I ran the whole time. While I was running, I made a decision to NEVER DO IT AGAIN! The next day, I was already planning my training for the rest of the summer, with thoughts to maybe try a marathon in the fall. I wonder if racing is like labor--eventually amnesia kicks in? (As a side note, despite the fact I have two kids, I've never had a contraction, so the whole labor analogy is purely hypothetical!)

So, what am I up to now? I'm savoring the time with my family. My house loves me, too, as it is getting some much-needed attention. I'm enjoying simply being, instead of doing.

And, maybe (just maybe!), I'll start blogging some more!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter