Friday, February 20, 2009

Twice in a week!

Yup, I've found time to blog twice this week.

This blog started a little over a year ago as Luke and I strived to be content with what we have and joyful for today (instead of talking about life AFTER graduation, life WITH a job, etc). How have we done?

Well, I guess this word sums it up: Okay

Gratefulness and contentment are hard concepts to internalize, especially in a society that is always telling you that you need more, faster, newer, better, etc.

It's one thing to know in my head, but to live it is totally different. The towels that would look sooooo nice in my bathroom are clearanced.

But, will it make me happy? (No--happiness can't be purchased, even at Pottery Barn!)

Life after nursing school will be soooo nice--no homework!

But, am I just trading one set of stress for another?

Until I'm physically in the presence of my Maker, I know that I will always struggle with being content with what I have, where I'm at, and the circumstances of life. That doesn't mean that it's wrong to want nice things (like matching towels!), but I need the mental shift in my thinking. I have tried many times in my life to fill a spiritual need with a physical object, and it has yet to work (I kinda highly doubt it will EVER work).

All that being said, I am looking forward to nursing school graduation! But, I'll focus more on the enjoyment of each day and being thankful and grateful for each day!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At February 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Joy said...

I cannot wait for you to graduate as well. You've worked so hard at this and you deserve this!!!! Don't forget to invite me to the party when you graduate if your having one!

 
At February 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Thomas Foulkes said...

Glad to see your are back!! Washing a plastic bag for reuse is ample evidence that you are thrifty.

Grandpa

 
At April 17, 2009 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Joylynn Rasmussen said...

This past couple of years I've really had to think through my purchasing choices too because in the past I did think that getting something new and fun would make me happier. But as you said, it NEVER did. Only God satisfies me in real ways.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter